Monday 18 February 2013

The land that bears a treasure worth 1 Lakh Crore


Thiruvananthapuram is the land of Sree Anantha Padmanabahan, where he rests on Adi Shesha. I was on my way to this great city and I was really excited. As I entered Venad express to go to meet my cousins in Trivandrum I didn’t know what to expect there. My cousins were waiting for me on the platform and I was happy to see them.

The next day we ventured out to the city and visited the land mark of Thiruvananthapuram after which the city’s name was derived.  Sri Padmanabha Swami Temple is the richest temple in the world. I don’t think any corporate company is this rich. The temple looked magnificent from outside.  Even the Padmatheertha Kulam outside it looked beautiful.  My heart ached to enter this magnificent structure and view the temple in all its splendour about which I had only heard of.


My next visit was to Beemapally, which is a pilgrim centre for Muslims.  The mosque is known for its Urus (an annual festival). This temple is a shrine of Beema Beevi who is believed to be a family member of Prophet Mohammed.

Later that day we went to visit Shankumugham beach which was close to the mosque. Located close to the beach were the iconic Indian Coffee House and the famous nude statue of a “Jalakanyaka” by famed sculptor KanayiKunjiraman. It caught our attention as the sculpture was an exquisite work of art.

Next day we visited one of the hottest tourist spots in Kerala-Kovalam beach. It is situated around 15km from the city. The shops that line the streets to the beach sell mostly trinkets that are of interest to tourists. The beach was filled mostly with foreigners out to get a tan. A short distance from the main beach is the red and white striped light house which is a landmark of the shore line of Kovalam Beach.

My trip to Thiruvananthapuram was a rejuvenating one. One must visit this beautiful city as it is a very enriching experience.

MUHAMMED MK

No comments:

Post a Comment